Sunday, July 10, 2011

Just got back from up north!

Well....this is my first 'real' post, kinda cool, gonna have to send to this out to a few ppl, so its not just myself reading this!

I just got back from 5 days up north doing some bird and elc surveys along the Ivanhoe River. Pretty remote/harsh country. We accessed our site from 2 spots; just outside of Timmins on hwy. 101, driving 85km thru logging roads and then from hwy. 101 just outside of Foleyet.

Alot of bugs out in the bush. Had some pretty cool birds though too, including at least 5 year birds; 6 Gray Jays, 4 Boreal Chickadees, 1 Spruce Grouse, lots of White-winged Crossbills and 1 Black-backed Woodpecker!

Another really sweet sighting, definitely more interesting than the birds I mentioned was a Lynx right by where we were camping on our first night! Had a good but quick look before it ran? off into the bush.

The real bizarre obs. that I had was what I think may have been a Common Poorwill. I was canoeing down the river with my co-worker Jess around 6am when we heard a bird that may or may not have a been a C. Poorwill. It sounded similar in quality to a Whip or a Chuck's but definitely very different, only really calling "Ooor-will'. I've never heard a Poorwill before, so I wasn't 100% when the bird was calling, but had in my mind thought that's what it sounded like, but who knows for sure now. Maybe someone could check it out???

No comments:

Post a Comment