Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Kingsville and the crazy heat

I was sent down to the Kingsville/Leamington area on Monday (July 18th) and am here more or less until next Friday (the 28/29th). I'm mainly doing non-bird work, consisting of the ever riveting and highly entertaining turbine checks for dead things.... Having said that, I am in a pretty birdy area, so I've been able to make some side trips to some better places looking for birds.

On Monday and today (Wednesday) I was able to make quick trips to the Tilbury Sewage Lagoons and on Tuesday I made it down to Holiday Beach C.A.

Tilbury looks pretty good for herons and shorebirds. The lagoons are "user-friendly" so you don't have to worry about getting thrown out....The best stuff I've had was today;
2 Stilt Sandpipers
10 Pectoral Sandpipers
20 Least Sandpipers
3 Semipalmated Sandpipers
2 Short-billed Dowitchers

Holiday Beach is looking pretty good for some herons. I've had a number of Great Egrets and a single Black-crowned Night-Heron. I've also seen a pair of Common Moorhens right beside the road.

I also checked for the Dickcissels near Wheatley today, but with this insane heat wave nothing was singing around 2pm.

More to come and with some pics....

No comments:

Post a Comment