Saturday, December 3, 2011

Better late than never....

Soooo for those you who are still checking this thing out, I've been uber busy and have more or less forgotten to update. But that's in the past, so here's what I've been up to.

Thursday, I went down to Long Point and did some good 'ole winter birding. I'm not super into winter listing, but its nice to see some late stuff in Decemeber.

First stop was at Townsend sewage lagoons. A fair bit of waterfowl, some Tundra Swan's, 3 American Pipits, some Lapland Longspur's and best of all a late White-rumped Sandpiper!
White-rumped Sandpiper - Townsend December 1st
Next I drove down to the lake and headed west towards Long Point. Not too much, until I checked the fields north of Big Creek. I was lucky to find a field with swans and geese. Once I stopped and settled in, I quickly noticed some Snow Geese and some similiar smaller geese....3 Ross's Geese were in amongst the Snow's (38 in total), which was a new Long Point bird for me (281 - watch out Ron!)!
Ross's Geese - north of Lee Brown's, Long Point - December 1, 2011

Also in the area were lots of Sandhill Crane's (~220), see below.

Didn't have too much after all the excitement with "Ross" but the day was overall really great, warm and sunny!

No comments:

Post a Comment